Comprehensive Insurance Cover

For many of our customers, we are involved in placing a range of insurance policies through independent Insurance Brokers. 
move to hacking and paterson

The types of policies placed on behalf of customers include:

  • Comprehensive Buildings Insurance
  • Property Owners’ Liability Insurance
  • Employers’ Liability Insurance
  • Engineering Insurance

Comprehensive Buildings Insurance

While contents insurance covers the things you own, buildings insurance covers the actual building.

This can include permanent fixtures such as:

  • Roof
  • Walls
  • Ceilings
  • Floors
  • Doors and windows
  • Fitted kitchens
  • Built-in cupboards and bathroom suites
  • Garages are usually covered, but it’s best to check with us beforehand
  • Fences, gates, boundary walls and mains-supply pipes

Buildings insurance policies should generally cover the full cost of repair/rebuild in the case of:

  • Fire
  • Lightning strike
  • Storm damage
  • Falling trees
  • Explosion (caused by gas leaks and so on)
  • Earthquake
  • Vandalism
  • Vehicle collisions with the building
  • Bursting or freezing of the plumbing

Property Owners’ Liability Insurance

Property owners’ liability insurance enables homeowners to meet any costs awarded against them to a third party if they suffer an injury following an accident on, or linked to, their property.

This type of cover is normally included within a block of flats buildings insurance policy, however, in housing developments with shared common open spaces a separate policy is generally required.

The areas protected can include:

  • Stairwells
  • Paths and roads
  • Open Spaces
  • Play Areas
  • Woodlands

Employers Liability Insurance

We regularly employ staff on behalf of our customers for a range of roles such as:

  • Wardens
  • Concierges
  • Caretakers
  • General handymen
  • Cleaners

When employees are working for a group of homeowners, the group is responsible for their health and safety. So if an employee is hurt at work, or develops a work-related illness, they might blame the group of homeowners and try to claim damages.

The legal requirement for employers to purchase employers’ liability insurance was introduced under The Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969. The Act requires virtually all employers to have a minimum level of insurance to cover any claims for compensation from employees.

Employers’ liability insurance will enable our customers to meet the cost of compensation for their employees’ injuries or illness whether they are caused on or off site.

Engineering Insurance

The Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998 (LOLER) also applies to passenger lifts fitted in places with public access, such as a common stairwell.  This places a requirement on installations being thoroughly examined and inspected for safety.

Where our customers’ properties include passenger lifts, engineering insurance cover is placed.

Our Factoring News

The Under One Roof Guide to Building Surveys

The Under One Roof Guide to Building Surveys

Next in our series of interesting articles from Under One Roof is their guide to building surveys: It’s important to have an awareness of the condition of the building you live in, so that you can prioritise repairs and notice when something is not quite right. A...

Tenement Style

Tenement Style

The Tenement House is situated at 145 Buccleuch Street and was owned by shorthand typist, Miss Agnes Toward, who lived at the address between 1911 and 1965. This is one of Glasgow’s treasures and walking into Miss Toward’s home takes you back in time, the interior of...

PMAS Conference 2023

PMAS Conference 2023

Each year we are delighted to be able to send a group of our Property Factoring staff to the annual PMAS Conference and on Friday 27th October 2023, a selection of our Directors, Team Managers and Property Managers attended this year’s event, ready to be informed and...