Glasgow: 0141 248 5693 |
Edinburgh: 0131 523 1575 |

Customer Support

Homeowner Guides

Customer Support

Owning and maintaining common property is easy, if you know how.

Having suitable information immediately accessible is vital for anyone owning property, helping them understand what it means to be a responsible homeowner.  Guiding them towards the various organisations who can help, such as property factors, can assist them in caring for and retaining the value of their property.

Owners and Obligations

To help you navigate your way through the minefield of common property ownership, we have identified the most frequently discussed points and placed these into an alphabetical list of common ownership topics.  To find out more, please click on the relevant topic and you will be redirected to the relevant section of the Under One Roof website where you will hopefully find the answers to any questions you may have.

Buildings and Repairs

The repair and maintenance of your property is vital to ensure its longevity and value is retained.  We appreciate that when being informed of works required to your property you may be unsure as to where these works are, what the quotations refer to and ultimately how they affect you.  To assist you in understanding the make up of your property and to show you why and how maintenance is undertaken, we have listed the most frequently discussed maintenance points and placed these into an alphabetical list of building parts and repair processes.

To find out more, please click on the relevant topic and you will be redirected to the relevant section of the Under One Roof website where you will hopefully find the answers to any questions you may have.

Homeowners Guide to Common Ownership

Access to your flat
Accoustic Engineers
Action on antisocial behaviour
Alterations and improvements
Antisocial tenants
Appealing decisions
Below tolerable standard (BTS)
Building contracts
Buying a flat
Buying and selling
Changing your Title Deeds
Clerk of works
Closing orders
Common building insurance
Common repairs
Community mediation
Contact your Council
Contacting owners
Council help with antisocial behaviour
Dealing with damage
Dealing with noise
Defending a small claim
Difficult conversations
DIY building surveys
Dormer windows – who pays
Effective meetings
Energy and Heating
Enforcing a judgement
Enforcing repairs yourself
Estate landscaping
Finding a trades firm
Finding the money
Floors and Ceilings – Modern
Form of Potential Liability for Costs
Garden maintenance
Get professional help
Get your building surveyed every 5 years
Getting advice
Getting quotes
Health and safety
Housing and Property Chamber
How the Council enforces repair
How the Council recovers costs
How to find your Title Deeds
Identify required work
Individual repairs
Inform owners and make decisions
Informal changes to shares paid
Is the noise excessive?
Joint owners
Keeping accounts
Keeping common areas clean and tidy
Know your neighbours
Know your responsibilities
Legal Glossary
Listed building and conservation area
Maintain your gutters
Maintenance or improvement
Maintenance plans
Making a small claim
Missing shares
Mutual repairs
Notice of Potential Liability to Repair
Organising repairs
Other powers to enforce repairs
Owners Association Sample Constitution
Owners’ Associations
Owners’ meetings
Paying for repairs
Pipes and leaks
Plumbing Leaks
Police help with antisocial behaviour
Precast Concrete and System Building
Private landlords
Problems with Title Deeds
Problems with your builder
Property Factor’s Code of Practice
Property Factors (Managers)
Property management rules
Providing evidence
Public health nuisance/abatement
Quantity surveyors
Repairing standard for private landlords
Repairs and flat sales
Rules that apply to all flats
Sample Claims
Save for repairs
Self factoring
Selling your flat
Shares where flats have been enlarged or split
Sharing costs according to Tenements Act
Sharing repair costs
Six ways to keep your flat’s value
Stair Tread Cracks
Structural Engineers
Survey checklist
Taking legal action
The loft – who owns it?
Tracing absentee owners
Trade Associations in Scotland
Typical Ways Costs Are Shared
What are Title Deeds
What to look for in Title Deeds
What is “responsibilty”
What is Anti Social Behaviour
Whose agreement do we need?
Work notice
Work on site
Your building’s rules download

Emergency Contacts

Customer Support

The emergency contact telephone numbers noted below are strictly for use only in the event of emergencies occurring out of our normal working hours of Monday to Friday 9am to 12.45pm & 2pm to 5pm for our Glasgow and Edinburgh offices.

Terms and Conditions

Only existing customers may use this emergency service. All tenants should report communal defects directly to the property Landlord or Agent.

It is the sole responsibility of the reporting home owner to provide accurate telephone contact and address information to the contractor and arrange for access to the property.
Attending contractors may request a copy of the last common charges invoice as proof of ownership.

In order to mitigate loss, the contractor will only take action to secure or temporarily repair any defect found with a report being supplied to our office as soon as practical, if you require further assistance following this please contact your Property Management Team the next working day.

Where a repair is subsequently found to be private in nature, home owners will be jointly liable for all labour and material costs incurred up until the point of identification. Thereafter, the costs of any private repairs instructed will be the responsibility of the individual home owner.

Calling out a contractor out of normal working hours will incur higher than normal hourly charges. Home owners should only utilise this service where absolutely necessary. To provide this service, the contractor renders a small annual charge generated at six-monthly intervals.

For our customers’ assistance, in addition to the emergency contact details below, we have listed contact details for various other services which may be of help.

Glasgow & West of Scotland Emergency Contractors

075239 48624
07425 819752
RoofingNorthwest Roofing
07710 809971
07425 819752
07598 742353
07425 819752
ElectricalHF Group
0800 783 9480

Edinburgh & East of Scotland Emergency Contractors

PlumbingAcorn Services
0131 669 5222
07425 819752
RoofingAcorn Services
0131 669 5222
Northwest Roofing
07710 809971
JoineryAcorn Services
0131 669 5222
07425 819752
ElectricalHF Group
0800 783 9480

Useful Numbers for Energy Providers

British Gas: 0800 111 999
EDF Energy: 0800 111 999
EON: 0845 27 27 999
Scottish Hydro: 0800 300 999
Scottish Power: 0800 092 9290

Useful Numbers for Lift Contractors

Otis Lifts Edinburgh: 0131 665 3455
Schindler Lifts: 01506 402 800
Kone Lifts: 0800 652 0692
BR Lift Services Ltd: 01355 228 307
Otis Lift Glasgow: 0141 814 6530

Water Authority

Scottish Water Authority: 0845 600 88 55

Satellite TV Provider

Sky Television: 08442 411 653

Telephone Line Provider

British Telecom: 0800 800 151

Reporting Repairs

Customer Support

To ensure that common repairs are attended to as promptly as possible, homeowners should notify us of any defect requiring attention immediately it becomes apparent.

Repair and maintenance issues can be intimated to us as follows:


Glasgow Office: 0141 248 5693

Edinburgh Office: 0131 523 1575

When telephoning, your call will be transferred to one of our experienced property factoring teams who will request clear details on the repair/defect being reported together with some personal information such as your name, address and contact number. Prior to calling, consideration should be given as to whether or not you or a fellow homeowner will require to provide access to facilitate the repair in order that contact details for the contractor can be obtained at the time of your call if need be.


Glasgow office:

Edinburgh office:

When emailing, your email will be answered by one of our experienced property factoring teams who will require clear details on the repair/defect being reported.  To facilitate the repair some personal information such as your name, address and contact number is required in order that these can be passed to the contractor.

My H&P Web Portal and App

Our My H&P Web Portal and Smartphone App provides our customers with the ability to contact our dedicated property factoring teams by direct telephone and email.  Customers can take photographs or videos of the defect and send them via the App straight to their factoring team.

We would recommend that any matters requiring immediate attention should be notified to us by telephone.

Upon notification our factoring team will consider the best means by which to deal with the repair/defect reported and instruct the appropriate contractor, on behalf of the homeowners, accordingly. Where access or further information is required the appointed contractor will make contact with the homeowner who reported matters in advance of attending the property.

We aim to report routine matters, intimated within office hours, to an appropriate contractor within two working days of the report. Matters requiring a quotation or inspection will be reported to an appropriate contractor within 3 working days of the report. Emergency defects will of course be passed to a contractor immediately upon receipt and where such matters occur outwith our office hours, please refer to our Emergency Contacts page or, at your discretion, contact the emergency services direct.

Should any customer have a general question on the facilitation of maintenance repairs please contact us.

Common Insurance

For many of our customers our Core Factoring Services include for the placing of common insurance policies. In an effort to secure the most competitive terms of insurance for our customers, we appoint AON insurance broker to place the common insurance cover over the properties in our management portfolio.

If you have any doubts as to whether you have insurance cover through HPMS, or about the identity of the insurer covering your property or if you would like further details of the cover, please contact our office and we will be pleased to provide you with the relevant information.

Common Insurance can be a confusing and complex matter. We have therefore produced this informative Q&A which we hope will serve as a useful guide in helping unravel some of the issues.

How does H&PMS procure common insurance for a property?

We do so by initially placing instructions with our insurance broker to research the market and provide their recommendation on insurance cover. We then place the policy through them, for one year, as appropriate with a reputable insurance company on competitive terms, with extensive cover.

How often should the sum insured be reviewed?

Valuations can be arranged by H&PMS on behalf of the homeowners upon request and it is recommended that valuations relative to buildings insurance are undertaken approximately every 5 years. Should the homeowners wish we can obtain costs to have valuations carried out.

How does a homeowner know the insured sum is adequate?

The only method by which to be assured of a true insured sum is to have an insurance reinstatement valuation carried out by a suitably qualified valuation surveyor.

How is the premium calculated?

Insurance premiums are calculated using a rate per £100 insured. So if the property is insured for £1,000,000 and the rate is £0.18 per £100 insured simply apply 0.18% to the £1,000,000 resulting in a premium of £1,800.00. In addition to the premium all insurance attracts Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) of 12% and this will be included in the figures appearing on homeowners common charges invoices.

How is the annual insurance premium billed?

In order to assist our clients in budgeting and payment we spread the annual cost of the buildings insurance premium over 4 equal instalments through our May, August, November and February common charges invoices. Other insurances attracting smaller premiums appear as a one-off charge in the homeowners invoice against the due date.

How is a claim made?

Where possible H&PMS looks to assist with the claims administration process and more specific details of how a homeowner can intimate a common or private claim can be found here.

What is a policy excess and why is this necessary?

A policy excess is a contribution the claimant is required to pay towards a claim and the amount of excess therefore defines the minimum claim value on the policy.

What is index linking?

Many insurers help make sure that the sum insured is kept up to date with any changes in rebuilding costs by ‘index linking’ the policy. This simply means that a sum insured is amended automatically at renewal to reflect any change in the rebuilding cost index. Index linking alone does not ensure that the sum insured is adequate – see points 2 & 3 above.

If a homeowner already has a buildings insurance policy in place that they arranged directly when they purchased their property, in addition to a common policy, how is this resolved?

It is standard practice where dual insurance is identified and where no claims have occurred, for both insurers to agree a 50% refund of premiums paid. In such circumstances we will offer advice which will be dependent on the specific circumstances involved.

What does a homeowner pay H&PMS for with regards to their insurance?

In our role as Property Factor and with specific reference to our Terms of Service and Delivery Standards, H&PMS offer to place “… insurance cover through HPMS Broker, where appropriate, for buildings, property owners liability, lifts, employers liability etc.” Our main Core Factoring Service in relation to common insurance on behalf of our homeowner customers is that of “placing insurance cover” and the administrative cost of this is included in your management fee.

Does H&PMS get a commission or fee from a common insurance policy?

As is commonplace in the industry, the broker receives commission from the insurer and is responsible for handling most of the administration of the policy. The broker in turn looks to H&PMS to carry out the majority of this administration for which we receive commission.

The administration that we undertake in this role includes:-

  • Issuing policy documentation
  • Claims administration assistance (not Claims Handling which the insurer or broker deals with)
  • Dealing with necessary policy endorsation
  • Corresponding with interested parties where necessary, such as solicitors, banks, lenders and homeowners
  • Arranging for the collection of the premium on behalf of the insurance company

All of the above is in addition to our formal commitment to the broker that the entire annual premium due by the various homeowner groups will be paid to them on time.

Insurance Claims

Customer Support

Where Common Buildings Insurance is placed on behalf of our customers, the Insurers are there to help when the need arises.

The Broker involved in placing the common insurance policy is AON and confirmation of the insurer of your property is available within your My H&P App along with being detailed on your invoice (immediately opposite the premium charge).

In the event of damage occurring at your property from the operation of an insured peril, please call the insurance claims hotline, as listed below:

AON CLAIMS LINE: 0141 240 2626

The claims handling team will normally ask you to confirm that you are the homeowner of the property. They will ask for your full address and contact telephone number. You will also be asked to confirm the nature of the damage and how it occurred.

From there, the claims handling team will deal with all administration relative to the insurance claim.

If the damage is of a common nature (affecting more than one apartment in the building) the claims handling team will normally appoint a contractor to attend and repair the damage, or provide a quotation to repair the same.

If the damage is of a private nature to your property (affecting only your apartment) the claims handling team may invite you to obtain competitive quotations for the necessary repair works and submit them to their office, for approval.

If you have any doubts about the identity of your insurer, please contact our office and we will be pleased to provide you with the relevant Information.

Likewise, if you are unsure of any aspect of the insurance claims submission procedure, please contact our office and our experienced property factoring team will be pleased to explain the process to you.

Finally, if you are unsure of what the Common Building Insurance covers please follow the links below to the full policy documents.


Please note these documents contain generic wording and for specific details of the sections relative to your insurance cover, including a summary of the perils covered, please contact us.

Debt Recovery

Customer Support

 Debt Recovery Procedure

We consider that a fair and effective debt recovery procedure is an essential element of the Core Factoring Services we provide for our customers.

You should be aware that you share a financial responsibility with your fellow homeowners to the extent that failure to meet your common charges invoices will reduce the float held for the property which in turn could compromise the proper maintenance, repair and servicing of the property and potentially put buildings insurance, if involved, at risk.

When considering debt, we are committed to treating all customers fairly, with forbearance and due consideration, providing them with time to comply with payment requests.  You should be aware that free and impartial debt advice, support, and information on debt solutions is available from not-for-profit debt advice bodies.  Citizens Advice are one such group, details of which can be found here:  In addition, organisations and information on formal debt relief and management products, such as bankruptcy, protected trust deeds, and the Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS) are available on the Accountant in Bankruptcy’s website:

To help protect your and your fellow homeowners against the depletion of the float and the negative consequences which can follow from this, we have in place a strict debt recovery procedure which operates as follows:-

Following issue, each common charge invoice is due for immediate payment.

  • Reminder Statement

Approximately 28 days from the date of issue, if any invoice remains outstanding a reminder, warning of possible court action unless payment is received within a further 7 days, is issued.

  • Default Notice

If the debt remains unpaid, we, or our appointed legal agent, will issue a Default Notice to you seeking recovery of all outstanding common charges.

Debtors still have the opportunity at this point to make settlement and avoid court action and are urged to do so. Under certain conditions we may be able to agree settlement by reasonable instalments.

At this stage of the process, an administration fee, details of which can be found on our Schedule of Fees (available on your My H&P portal or on request), is charged to you for the additional administration involved in the recovery of your debt.

  • Final Notice

If no response or payment is forthcoming, a Final Notice, intimating notice of court proceedings is issued by us, or our legal agents with a further administration fee, details of which can be found on our Schedule of Fees (available on your My H&P portal or on request), is charged to you for the additional administration involved in the recovery of your debt.

The case is then referred to court, through our legal agents, and a decree for payment, including all expenses, sought against you, the defaulter. Depending on individual circumstances, further diligence may follow with associated legal costs.

  • NOPL

With any debt, consideration will also be given to the recording of a Notice of Potential Liability for Costs against the title of the defaulter’s property. This provides a degree of security that the debt will be met in the event of a sale of the property and is a process we often implement in the interest of the homeowners collectively where the proper maintenance, repair, servicing and/or insurance of the common property is being compromised by an individual homeowner’s debt.

There is a financial consideration involved in this legal process and an overall administration fee, details of which can be found on our Schedule of Fees (available on your My H&P portal or on request), is charged to you for the additional administration involved in the recovery of your debt, where it is considered necessary to take this step.

  • Legal Costs

Our Core Factoring Services include liaising with legal agents, preparing documentation and, where necessary, attending court when seeking recovery of a debt on behalf of all homeowners. No additional fee is charged for our role in this and any legal fees incurred in this process will be added to your (the defaulter’s) debt and included in the court action.

  • Impact of debt on our services

In extreme cases, where a debt, either singular or collective, has the potential to impact, or is impacting, on our service delivery we will notify all homeowners accordingly.

  • Disputed Sums

Where a dispute relates to a specific element of a common charges invoice, the charges relating to the items not in dispute must be paid.

If you are in dispute with any element of the common charges invoice, it is imperative, in view of the above procedures, that you intimate specific details of the dispute to us. We will endeavour to resolve any such dispute as soon as practicable after notification.

Selling My Property

Customer Support

As part of the selling process, your solicitor should inform us, in writing, of an impending change in ownership of your property, as much notice as possible is helpful and at least 10 working days before the sale.

The Property Standardisation Group, in collaboration with the Law Society of Scotland, have produced the standardised ‘Letter to Factor’, an 11-point request for information, submitted to a Factor by the seller’s solicitor, when a property is being sold.  This letter includes requests for information on the following topics:

  • Annual factoring charges.
  • Estimates charges to the sale date
  • Float refundable/payable
  • Common Insurance policy, including details of same
  • Details of known repairs, defects or maintenance issues affecting the property.
  • Cyclical Maintenance Fund obligations
  • Outstanding debt due by the seller
  • The existence of any Notice of Potential Liability (NOPL) registered against the property.
  • A request for factoring charges to be apportioned.

The letter will also confirm:

  • The agreed Date of Entry
  • The Purchasers Name
  • The Purchasers Solicitor
  • Solicitor or homeowner address for the final accounting.

When will I receive my final account and reimbursement of my float payment?

We account to our clients on a quarterly basis, in arrears, during the months of February, May, August and November for charges in respect of the maintenance of common property.

During the quarter immediately following your sale date, we will undertake an apportionment of common charges, and your invoice will include:

  • All third-party invoices for repairs completed prior to the sale date, where invoices have been received from the contractor.
  • An apportionment of all insurance premiums and management fees, up to your sale date.
  • Monthly charges, including cleaning and gardening, where invoices have been received by the supplier, will be split between the seller and purchaser, using a daily rate calculation.
  • Other quarterly invoicing, such as lift maintenance contracts or electricity charges, where invoices have been received by the supplier, will be split between the seller and purchaser, using a daily rate calculation.

If there has been a delay in receiving invoices from third party contractors for work carried out during your period of ownership, your final common charges invoice may not be issued until such time as all invoicing has been submitted to our office.  For example, electricity suppliers submit invoices on a quarterly basis in arrears, and as such, the apportionment of these charges cannot be calculated until received.

In general, to ensure all invoices for works/services carried out during your period of ownership are accounted for, it’s likely that your final common charge invoice will be issued during the second subsequent quarter following your sale date.

Any float paid to us when purchasing your property will be reimbursed to you, through the final accounting process.  No float payments will be refunded until all final accounting is complete.  Where your account is in credit following the issue of all final common charge invoicing, the balance will be reimbursed to you by way of cheque.

I’ve paid money into a sinking fund.  Will this be refunded?

All contributions into a sinking fund are non-refundable upon the sale of properties.  Contributions, including all interest, stays with the fund, for the future maintenance and repair of the property.  We can issue, upon request, a statement of the sinking fund detailing the balance.  This should be considered an asset when selling your property.

I have paid monies in advance towards a repair project.  Will this be refunded?

Where we have requested a contribution to a proposed repair in advance of instruction being placed, this money is held on your behalf until such time as the work is completed and the contractor submits their invoice for settlement.

Where you have submitted funding to our office and the work is unlikely to progress in advance of your sale date, any agreement as to the refund or retention of this money should be made between the selling and purchasing party.  Upon confirmation to our office, we will either refund the money to you, or retain same for use by the purchaser when the repair progresses.

Should I cancel my Direct Debit or Standing Order?

The responsibility to cancel your Direct Debit or Standing Order remains with you, however before doing so, we would ask that you ensure any outstanding balances are paid in full, and arrangements have been made for the settlement of any final accounting to be issued to you.

Why is there an administration fee when I sell my property?

To reflect the additional administration involved in dealing with the sales process, including the apportionment of common charges between the seller and purchaser, we charge an additional administration fee to the selling party.

Our Terms of Service & Delivery Standards does not allow for the provision of this service within our Core Services, for which you are charged a set annual management fee.

This charge is notified to your solicitor upon receipt of their sale notification letter and will appear on your final invoicing.

Where we receive late notification of a sale transaction, within 10 working days of the sale date, due to the additional administrative resource required, a higher fee is applied.

What is a Notice of Potential Liability (NOPL) and how can this be removed from my Title? 

A notice of potential liability for costs may be registered or recorded against a property in terms of section 10(2A) of the Title Conditions (Scotland) Act 2003 or section 12(3) of the Tenements (Scotland) Act 2004.

The effect of such a notice is that incoming owners of a property may be liable for outstanding costs relating to certain maintenance or work.  The Notice is in effect over the property for three years.

If the debt to which the NOPL relates has been met before the expiry of the three-year period, it is possible for the Notice to be discharged.  The appropriate Notice of Discharge form should be submitted to our office, by your Solicitor, for our consideration.  Where we have provided our agreement (signature) to any Notice of Discharge, it remains your responsibility to submit the appropriate paperwork to the Registers of Scotland.


Customer Support

Formal Complaints Handling Procedure

We define a formal complaint as written expression of dissatisfaction with our service, as detailed within our Terms of Service and Delivery Standards, or the service of a contractor instructed by us on your behalf, which is unable to be resolved by frontline resolution.

Frontline Resolution

We endeavour to resolve all concerns early and through telephone or face to face discussion.  If you are unhappy in any way, please tell us.  It is important for us to hear what your concerns are, for you to provide us with as much information as possible and more importantly to let us know what would resolve your concerns.

We hope to resolve all concerns through frontline resolution discussions, however, should you remain unhappy, you will be advised to submit a formal complaint to us through the following procedure.

Step 1 – Formal Complaint Identification and Investigation

If our frontline resolution does not resolve your concerns you may request our “Application for Formal Complaint Resolution” form for completion and return. Completion of this form will help us to understand why you remain dissatisfied and the outcome you are looking for. The form will be acknowledged within 3 working days of receipt and the formal complaint investigated. Our aim at this step is to provide written confirmation of the investigation findings along with resolution to your formal complaint within a 14 working day period, from date of receipt. If more time is required, we will advise you of the reason for this and also when you can expect to receive our response.

At this stage your formal complaint will be investigated and responded to by a Team Manager or Director, whose contact details will be provided to you.

Step 2 – Formal Complaint Review and Final Decision

If after receipt of our step 1 response you remain dissatisfied with the resolution offered, this should be intimated to our office in writing within a period of 28 days. Upon receipt, a final review of your formal complaint will be carried out and our final written decision issued within a 14 working day period, from date of receipt. If more time is required, we will advise you of the reason for this and also when you can expect to receive our response.

At this stage your formal complaint will be reviewed and responded to by a Director, whose contact details will be provided to you.

In the event that our final written decision does not resolve your formal complaint, you may apply to The Housing and Property Chamber First-tier Tribunal for Scotland which has authority to consider complaints against a property factor, in accordance with the Property Factors (Scotland) Act 2011, once the formal complaints procedure has been exhausted. At this point in the process we would consider resolving the matter by means of Mediation where this is proposed by the Housing and Property Chamber First-tier Tribunal for Scotland.

The Housing and Property Chamber First-tier Tribunal for Scotland can be contacted at:

Glasgow Tribunals Centre
20 York Street
G2 8GT

T: 0141 302 5900


Property Factor Registration Number PF000288

© 2022 Hacking & Paterson Management Services